BELLS AT MARY OF THE ANGELS

Bells rang each morning at seven. I pulled open the long drape and stepped out onto the little balcony where I could see the bell tower of St. Mary of the Angels and watch those bells swing. Sound summons inner experience. Bells of Sacred Heart church in the little town of my childhood. Bells of St. John's University in Collegeville, MN--pretty much unparallelled in my experience. The smaller bells of adoration. I've missed the bells that I now hear so much less often.

On Saturdays John and I give ourselves time and silence for retreat--for prayer, contemplation, spiritual reading, walks in nature. We'll be remembering all of you who visit us here. And I'll tell you all about the Transitus Celebration no later than Monday.

Comments

Terri said…
Lovely. The church I now serve has a carillon of bells which ring the hours of 9, 12, 3, 6, 9....i quite agree on the effect of bells.

Popular Posts